What is My Role?

Often times, faculty, staff, and community members are in a good position to identify someone who may be emotionally distressed. You may be the first one to notice someone is acting in a way that is inconsistent with your normal experience with that person.

As such, we encourage the UNM community to say something or do something in this type of situation. You may be able to be a resource in times of trouble, and expressing your concern in the person may be critical to helping them get connected to university resources. If the situation is beyond your level of comfort, you can use the online reporting form to alert the university so that an appropriate intervention can be made. 

If a student is disruptive and uncooperative, appears volatile or dangerous, or is demonstrating immediate harm to self or others call UNM-V PD at 505-925-8570 or 911 for immediate assistance.

Types of Referrals

CARE can assist faculty and staff when students of concern. Some common types of referrals we can assist with include:

Mental Health



  • Potential alcohol/substance abuse
  • Has serious test/presentation anxiety
  • Asks you for resources and you are not sure where to send them​
  • Classroom and other behavioral issues
  • Suspected of cheating
  • Appears to have a medical issue​
  • Students in emotional distress
  • May have a learning disability
  • Victim of stalking or intimidation​
  • Seems overly emotional (Aggressive, depressed, demanding, paranoid, suspicious)
  • Needs help with Test taking, learning strategies, time management, tutoring​
  • Having difficulty due to a death or illness in the family​
  • Suicidal ideation (Talks about suicide or homicide​)
  • Continues to disrupt class and refuses to stop ​
  • Subject of complaint by other students regarding their behavior​
  • Suicide attempts
  • Appears to have a learning issue​
  • Reports sexual harassment or rights discrimination​
  • Threatening behavior toward self or others
  • Exhibits behavior that is abnormal​
  • Appears to have eating disorder/body dysmorphia​​
  • Has Chronic Illness​
  • Displays anger or hostility inappropriately​​
Trust your gut feeling. If something feels off or isn’t right report to CARE.​

Understanding When To Intervene

CARE has identified some common indicators of students in distress, as well as actions you can take to intervene. If you have questions, you can always contact the PASOS Student Success Supervisor, Academic Affairs Office, Student Health and Counseling, or UNM-V Police for further consultation. Follow the links below for information on: