Established, October 22, 2012 – Six (6) Sworn Officers
Certified by the State of New Mexico Law Enforcement Academy
Sanctioned by the University of New Mexico Board of Regents
Commissioned by the Valencia County Sheriff’s Office
The mission of the UNM-Valencia Campus Police Department (UNMVPD) is to provide a safe, secure environment where faculty, staff, and students may learn, grow, and develop to their full potential.
The UNMVPD is comprised of state certified, county-commissioned law enforcement officers, and civilian support staff, who are committed to providing the highest quality, professional police services, focused on crime prevention and identifying other mischievous acts and hazards.
We support the academic and research missions of the UNM-Valencia campus, by protecting life, liberty, and property, and defending the Constitutional Rights of all people with empathy, compassion, fairness, and integrity, to ensure an environment free of crime.
The UNMVPD embraces the concept of community-based policing, as the fundamental nature of this philosophy is to communicate and become involved with the people we serve, build collaborative partnerships with other law enforcement agencies, and foster trust and teamwork within our community.
We are committed to the highest standards of professionalism and ethical behavior, respecting the culture and history of those we serve, as represented by our values:
The five core values of the UNMVPD are:
• Professionalism: We take pride in our department and our campus community and demonstrate our professionalism by adhering to the highest standards in law enforcement, and encouraging teamwork, innovation, collaboration, and self-evaluation.
• Respect: We respect the sanctity of life, dignity of all people, and use only that force necessary to accomplish our lawful duty.
• Integrity: We maintain the trust of the community we serve by being honest, compassionate, and consistent with our actions, and adhering to the administrative policies of our university and the laws of our nation, state, and local region, to uphold the public trust of our community.
• Dedication: We are dedicated to supporting the academic and research missions of our campus, and protecting the rights of all persons, by focusing on crime prevention, and fostering communication and trust.
• Excellence: We strive to provide the highest level of service that exemplifies professionalism, ethical behavior, and moral courage. We consistently seek out advanced training opportunities and methods of skill development to best serve our community.