About the Program
Upward Bound is a free, year-round college prep program for high school students. The goal of the program is to prepare low income, first generation college bound students for success in post secondary education.
Students attending Los Lunas High School, Valencia High School, and Belen High School must qualify for selection to the program (see link to the left). Once selected, students remain in the program until their graduation from high school and the completion of their first summer of college.
During the academic year, students receive tutoring in math, science, social studies, composition, and literature with certified teachers. Students also receive counseling and help with study skills to help them improve both grades and self-confidence.
During the summer, students participate in a six-week program at the university campus. Students take challenging enrichment courses, participate in a variety of field trips, and experience diverse cultural, social, and career-related activities.
Students must be:
- Low income and/or first generation college bound
- In 9th, 10th, or 11th grade in a Valencia county high school
- In need of academic assistance
- Willing to devote time to the program (See Time Commitment Contracts to the right.)
- Complete pre-application form.
- Mail or bring the printed form to:
Upward Bound Program
280 La Entrada
Los Lunas, NM 87031
- You will be contacted within two business days of receipt of the application to set up an interview to complete the application process.
- Review both of the commitment contracts. There is one for the student and one for the parent.
- Be prepared to sign the commitment contracts if you are accepted into the Upward Bound