High School Equivalency Testing
High School Equivalency exams (HSE exams) for GED® and HiSET® are offered at the assessment center. GED® exams are offered on most Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. HiSET® exams are offered once a month (January and August excluded) on a Tuesday and a Thursday in each the paper and computer-based formats at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 12:30 p.m. timeslots. Both exams are offered in Spanish formats. Assessment Center located in the Student Services building (availability subject to change).
The cost of the four-part GED® exam (Science, Social Studies, Mathematical Reasoning, and Reasoning Through Language Arts) is $80 payable only at the GED® Website.
The cost of the five-part HiSET® exams (Language Arts – Reading, Language Arts – Writing, Science, Social Studies, and Mathematics) is $75 for all five exams.
It is highly encouraged that HSE candidates inquire at the Next Steps: Adult Education Center regarding test preparation. For information regarding Tutoring and HSE Classes, contact Adult Basic Education at 505-925-8900.
To sign up for testing, you will need
- To create an account at GED, or HiSET respectively to and pay for and schedule exams.
- If you are a candidate younger than 18-years-old you will need an Under-Age Permission Form completed and signed by your school district, parent/guardian, and submitted to the Assessment Center for approval.
- A valid and current government issued photo ID.
On the Day of the Exam
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your exam time at the Assessment Center with your valid government-issue photo identification.
- Late arrivals are not guaranteed an exam time.
- All items needed during the exam will be provided.
- No food, drink, electronic devices, paper, outerwear, watches, large jewelry, or personal items permitted in the testing center during exams.
- Lockers are available for storage.
After the Exam
- For GED® you must earn the following scores to pass and earn high school equivalency.
- Below passing: 100-145
- 145-164 - Pass/High School Equivalency
- 165-200 - GED® College Ready
- For HiSET® the three HiSET passing criteria are:
- Scored at least 8 out of 20 on each subtest
- scored at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieved a total scaled score on all five HiSET subtests of at least 45 our of 100
- Request GED transcripts and diplomas at Diploma Sender: diplomasender.com