High School Equivalency Testing
High School Equivalency exams (HSE exams) for GED® and HiSET® are offered at the assessment center. GED® exams are offered on most Mondays, Wednesdays and Fridays from 9 a.m. to 1 p.m. HiSET® exams are offered once a month (January and August excluded) on a Tuesday and a Thursday in each the paper and computer-based formats at 9 a.m., 10:30 a.m., and 12:30 p.m. timeslots. Both exams are offered in Spanish formats. Assessment Center located in the Student Services building (availability subject to change).
The cost of the four-part GED® exam (Science, Social Studies, Mathematical Reasoning, and Reasoning Through Language Arts) is $80 payable only at the GED® Website.
The cost of the five-part HiSET® exams (Language Arts – Reading, Language Arts – Writing, Science, Social Studies, and Mathematics) is $50 upfront for all exams or $15 each, totaling $75 dollars for the entire battery.
It is highly encouraged that HSE candidates inquire at the Adult Basic Education Department regarding test preparation. For information regarding Tutoring and HSE Classes, contact Adult Basic Education at 505-925-8900.
To sign up for testing, you will need
- To create an account at GED, or HiSET respectively to and pay for and schedule exams.
- If you are a candidate younger than 18-years-old you will need an Under-Age Permission Form completed and signed by your school district, parent/guardian, and submitted to the Assessment Center for approval.
- A valid and current government issued photo ID.
On the Day of the Exam
- Arrive at least 15 minutes prior to your exam time at the Assessment Center with your valid government-issue photo identification.
- Late arrivals are not guaranteed an exam time.
- All items needed during the exam will be provided.
- No food, drink, electronic devices, paper, outerwear, watches, large jewelry, or personal items permitted in the testing center during exams.
- Lockers are available for storage.
After the Exam
- For GED® you must earn the following scores to pass and earn high school equivalency.
- Below passing: 100-145
- 145-164 - Pass/High School Equivalency
- 165-200 - GED® College Ready
- For HiSET® the three HiSET passing criteria are:
- Scored at least 8 out of 20 on each subtest
- scored at least 2 out of 6 on the essay
- Achieved a total scaled score on all five HiSET subtests of at least 45 our of 100
- Request GED transcripts and diplomas at Diploma Sender: diplomasender.com