Undergraduate Student Research
The R2S2 Undergraduate Student Research program provides students with the opportunity to conduct research in a Science, Technology, Engineering, Mathematics, and Health (STEM-H) field under the guidance of a UNM-Valencia faculty member. Students have access to a complete research lab and green house facility, water well, and robotic equipment. This is a full year program with the opportunity to present research and participate in a variety of academic research conference and symposiums. If you are interested in participating in this program, please contact Miriam Chávez at email@example.com.
The 2017-2018 Undergraduate Student Research Cohort conducted research in:
- Paleoclimate investigations of paleosols from the Taos Plateau, N.M.
- Medicinal Plant Extraction and Analysis
- Molecular Systematic of Pinon Pine in Central New Mexico
- Chemical and mineral compositions and compositional trends of two Pliocenc Paleosols from the Taos Plateau, N.M.
- Real World Application of Teaching Basic Mathematical Proofs
- Arsenic Comparison of Irrigated and Non-Irrigated Sols in the Middle of Rio Grande Valley
Students and Faculty attended the following conferences:
- New Mexico Alliance for Minority Participation (AMP) Conference, Las Cruces, N.M.
- Community College Undergraduate Research Initiative (CCURI) Symposium, Austin Community College, Austin, Texas
- New Mexico Academy of Science Research Symposium, Albuquerque, N.M.
- UNM STEM Research Symposium, UNM Main, Albuquerque, N.M.
- UNM Biology Research Day, UNM-Main, Albuquerque, N.M.
- New Mexico Geological Society Annual Spring Meeting, NM Tech, Socorro, N.M.
- New Mexico Tech Student Research Symposium, NM Tech, Socorro, N.M.
- UNM-Valencia Undergraduate Research Day, UNM-Valencia, Los Lunas, N.M.
- New Mexico Mathematical Association of Two-Year Colleges, Southwestern Indian Polytechnic Institute, Albuquerque, N.M.