



Faculty Assembly Meeting Minutes

Friday, October 20, 2023 (1:00 – 2:30 PM)

Zoom Meeting URL: <https://unm.zoom.us/j/97606523820> (Password: 328509)

ATTENDANCE

Ian Burch
Ana June
Cheryl Bryan
Andy Taylor
Joshua Frank Cardenas
Justin Bendell
Patricia Gillikin
Natalie Sheppard

Laura Musselwhite
Jerry Godbout
Cindi Goodman
Sue Yasenka
Michael Gonzales
Steven Romero
Tammi Duncan-Teller
Scott Kamen

Andisheh Dadashi
Ariel Ramirez
Precious Andrew
Sam Dosumu
Anicca Cox
Janice Pacifico
Stephen Takach
Jon Lechel

1:01 Call to Order by Ana June

1:01 Acceptance of Agenda, Approval of Minutes

Justin Bendell motions to accept agenda, Andy Taylor seconds. Agenda accepted
Cheryl Bryant motions to accept minutes, Justin seconds. Accepted.

1:02 Chancellor's Report - Sam Dosumu

Sam Dosumu - Good afternoon everyone, lets see, what to share

Everything's going well. Halfway through the semester

Numbers look good as we get ready for the 2nd half

Legislative finance came back with response to new health science building (responded to all requests)

We asked for 6 mil, asked for a design submission. Not a complete no, but they want to do it in phases. Working with Rick and Laura and nursing and allied health to see what the final product should be.

It may be a repurposed current building as I don't want to add more square footage as that's overhead in terms of maintenance.



Also comes with opportunity to add new programs. Add what we're missing.

<quick pause to adjust audio levels, speakers move into the "speaking chair" in the front row instead of camera>

While we didn't get everything for the building, main campus got denied 60 mil, so don't feel too bad for us

Enrollment still good, not too many withdrawals

Hoping for spring to be as good or even better

Adding more 8 week classes in the spring

If we see trends or students needing help in 1st 8 week sections, we can spin up 2nd 8 week sections to give them a second try

Close up exit points where we lose students. Aka off-ramp points

Continue expanding the success coach model

Make sure everyone knows what is expected

Was at a conference with the Dallas community colleges, they do success coaching well, learning from their experience and approaches

All I have to share for now, but you'll always hear from me in newsletters. Questions?

Joshua Frank Cardenas: I think it's positive to have options like 2nd 8 weeks sections, otherwise they wait or never come back.

<general assent>

1:11 Dean of Instruction's Report - Laura Musselwhite

Laura: Hi everyone, just a few items for today, saving my small voting item for last
For those who do not know, David Buoasis is gone now. Tracy retired a few months ago, he followed. They're going to the midwest and opening a B&B

John and James are it for IT. And Robert on Thursdays, but generally he's at the Workforce Training Center



Two updates on funding. Need for more prof dev funding. It is very clear, and more clear this year than I've ever seen before. Inflation is showing itself with conferences, since everyone is emailing saying they need extra.

Sam and I and Rick are looking for the extra funding, which would be permanent. In the meantime, if this body wanted they could increase the amount people can ask for. The pot is not larger so money would run out more quickly, but I think you can discuss that.

This group has also discussed paying adjuncts for chairing or special projects. Sam and I and others have thought about an hourly rate. We took it to provost, they've been putting us off.

UAUNM has a memorandum of agreement, so until that gets resolved to set a standard across all campuses, it's still under discussion?

Justin: What's the ETA on the MOA?

Laura: I don't know. One of you submitted it, I don't know who.

Scott Kamen: We presented it 2-3 weeks ago. No scheduled meetings until Dec 1st, probably won't hear back until then. Ball in provost's court right now.

Laura: So spring semester?

Scott: Probably.

Laura: Combination of curriculum and assessment committees. Any discussion?

<no discussion>

Ana June: Calls for a vote.

AYE: 17 NAY: 0

Vote passes, curriculum committee and assessment committee are now merged.

The curriculum committee will start discussing the assessment activity.

Thanks to the chairs who have been helping out with this throughout the year.

That's my report.



1:19 Treasurer's Report - Andy Taylor

Andy: I am pleased to report we have \$600 in budget, \$78 in slushie fund
We're doin' fine

1:20 Committee Plans

Fac Prof Dev: Andisheh - nothing new

Same issues with the money as before, we're spending the \$ as requested

FOTRC: Cindi Goodman

We had our first meeting, nothing new to report

Sam: Can I say something before I leave?

Wanted to take chance to recognize everything Jerry and Clifton did at the eclipse

You guys did it very well, brought my son and his family

Quite a few people, although more glasses next time

I appreciate it, thank you so much

Curriculum: Ian Burch

I'm chair this semester

We've got 6 small changes for math, pre-engineering, nursing cert, etc

Most paperwork is in, meeting within the next 1-2 weeks to get everything approved

Adjunct: Natalie Sheppard

I'm the new chair, we've met once but I wasn't there

Another meeting in the next few weeks, get a plan to improve adjunct life

<more audio debugging, got online to be very loud>



1:25 Faculty Senate Report - Justin Bendell

Justin: Is Barbara there?

Ana: no

Justin: Okay. Faculty senate was almost a month ago, I'll talk about that and then BCCC (Branch Campus Community Council).

Enrollment up, with class of 2027 the biggest in history

John Bolliwig: UNMV's +15.3% enrollment is biggest statewide growth I've seen

President Stokes said we're #9 for economic diversity in the nation in terms of Pell grants received.

There were powerpoints with numbers that I'm not going to share because they don't pertain to us

For one of the first times, the senate was directly democratic instead of talking heads while we nodded in agreement. Broke into breakouts, we all discussed out goals and commonalities.

Justin: I proposed based on your discussions:

UNM should have standardized sick leave like CNM. numerous people proposed it, so it should be on the agenda

Adjunct pay is inconsistent - why not bring it together and align it with adjunct being able to teach at multiple branches instead of compete or have part time jobs. Pushing on this, hopefully it will lead to positive changes

Any questions so far?

Scott: Do you think the change in the nature being more democratic is because of Chris Elder being president?

Justin: Yes

Scott: Okay

Justin: Unionists get the goods!



One more thing, the BCCC. We talked about the things I already mentioned and sharing faculty across campuses. How do we make an argument for this, similarly to the way we tried to organize for 4/4.

Laura's brought up this convo with the branch deans and they're open to continuing the discussion. Going to keep that dialogue open and see where it goes
If you want to get involved, reach out to me

Dual credit, we were talking how chronically messed dual credit is at individual campuses. How does it look at Taos, Gallup, etc.. Trying to trade notes, come up with a cohesive plan that includes all branches

I think that's it, any questions?

<1:31 College Branch / Assessment Cmt was in the agenda, but item was already voted on>

1:31 Meeting Format

Ana: Here we're trying something new, in a better room [A101 vs LRC101]. What do you think about the format? Zoom and in person, do we need to do it this way?

We've been discussing having the first meeting each semester in person with food, and others being completely online.

Jerry Godbout: would the in person have a remote option as well?

Ana: I don't see why not

Justin: Ironically I prefer in person. I think we can have more robust conversations and get more done. I think the idea of splitting them is better than hybrid forever; hybrid seems like a failed model.

Not only should it be [in person] for opening sessions, we could mandate it for very important sessions

Cheryl: I like the 1st in person because it's an opportunity for new faculty to get involved, meet people. And some discussions should really be done in person



Precious Andrew: I vote fully online. I prefer in-person, but with so many attending online, it doesn't make a lot of sense to have just a few in person. It's also hard to hear with the hybrid.

Andisheh Dadashi: I too like the fully online meeting

Joshua: I prefer face to face but I appreciate the online option because otherwise I would not be able to attend today due to being ill.

Stephen Takach: Same, also I am concerned about those with children or family to care for who aren't able to attend in person

Anicca Cox: Same, accessibility is important

Justin: I am opposed to fully online. We would not have won 4/4 if we did not show up and build camaraderie and solidarity

Andisheh: Fully online is good for Fridays, but if it was during the week when we were already in school, it would be easier to attend in-person. With gas prices, adding an extra day each week to come down is expensive.

Scott: I agree with a lot of what's been said, with a small number of in person and hybrid. Even this room is not great - audio is better but it's stadium seating

Justin: We voted for Friday in 2019. Do we need to revisit this?

Cheryl: It's not the tech level, it's building relationships and the ability to interact about faculty issues

Stephen: I saw Justin put down in comments that Friday is pretty hard when there's 0-10% of our classes are Friday. If it was on Wednesday it'd be great for chairs

Natalie: Driving for one meeting is financially a strain until the adjunct hourly pay goes through

Cheryl: It was moved to Friday to accommodate Adjuncts, but they still rarely attend
<assent on adjuncts not appearing Friday>



1:40 Laura: We built a new thing in the schedule for Wednesday from 12 to 1 to not have instruction.

Cheryl: We would never be able to have food then because of 4 hr requirements

Steven Romero: However this works, these meetings still need to be accessible as Anicca mentioned

Jerry: We moved to Friday with good intentions that did not work out

Laura: Yes, we did not increase turnout for faculty academy

Ana: Seeing a lot of accessibility comments in the chat, and many of us really dislike hybrid. So where do we go from here

Justin: If we choose face to face meetings, they are inherently inaccessible. So we have to make them hybrid anyway. If we hold them exclusively online, we lose the camaraderie. I'm not seeing a way to accommodate both besides that hard split of first meeting in person

John: To speak to that, I asked the EOD people who did the strategic planning stuff to look into hybrid meeting protocols. Seeing people is not something protocols will solve. If we want to keep hybrid, we need a room where the technology is mastered. Maybe the room where we did the diversity and engagement retreat

Andy: It is a great room

<murmured agreement that the room is great>

Steven: What makes it difficult for me attending on Fridays because I'm in school and so many of the meetings I have to do are in person on UNM Abq are Friday

Ana: We have 18 online and 9 in person, and I'd be happy to be online right now

Cheryl: Maybe we could move it back to Wednesdays from 12-1:15 to the 2nd or 3rd Wednesday. Most people are on campus, and we'll add the hybrid. A lot of our faculty are new since COVID and haven't really experienced both.

1:47 Michael Gonzales: All the classes at the Workforce Training Center are Monday/Wednesday. Some of those we would not be able to get from there to here. Only affects a few of us



Jerry: There will never be a perfect time. This time is a problem for arts folk

Jon Lechel: Maybe talk with the chancellor about having an inclusive room that is universally usable as a true conference room with online access

Ana: I'll put together an anonymous survey

Laura: Convocation is also a good week for in-person meetings and food as well as camaraderie.

Justin: Let's vote in november.

John: I second Justin's proposal for voting in november. More time to explore options

Steven: I'd suggest looking into room 101 in H&S. I would bet on that room

<General assent for HS 101, a Survey, and voting in November>

1:50 <Computer crashes, technical difficulties>

1:56 <Zoom back online>

Andisheh: What if we just ask today if people want Friday or Wednesday, then we move to make it Hybrid or something else

Jerry: Some people aren't here, and that needs to be adjusted. I like JB's idea of a survey and a discussion vote next time

Ana: I'll put together a survey and we'll discuss and vote next time

<murmuration of yesses>

1:59 Update to Program Development Cmt - Anicca Cox

Anicca: Survey went out since there were questions about the role of this cmt

A 4 question survey went out on listserv. If you could fill that out it'd be helpful

1:59 Faculty Event Organization

Jon Lechel: Just wanted to go over a couple things on promoting and helping y'all with events, whether it's mol day, eclipse, etc. Getting things to me sooner helps me put it on social media, signage, get the word out and general



Having all the info, whether its a flier and a paragraph of what's going on and who's taking care of what

For example, the glasses for eclipse. Am I promoting it to UNM or full community?

If we can get that faster, we can streamline emails throughout the week

Earlier communication, the better I can help with promotion or marketing or advertising

Any questions?

John: We have a utopian message for one overall event message a week. Early notice is key

Cheryl: It would be nice to have a weekly notice so we could see what to attend. And Jon, I think you said to get it on the overall calendar you need at least a week because we go through main's calendar, is that right?

Jon: To cover that, our goal is that weekly notice with a paragraph for each event.

Working on a form that anyone can fill out and send to me. But if you miss that, things won't get added. If you want for info out, take 20s to fill out a list

For the event calendar, it does take a few days because I have to submit it and it doesn't always get approved. Even when approved, it's one more day. So a week is better. We only show 3 events, but if you click see more it shows you the rest of events in the queue

Jerry: Could we have a checklist saying "3 weeks before the event, do this. 2 weeks before, do this, etc". That way we could not make your life more worse than we typically do

Jon: Yes. The hard thing is we know when things are coming up, but we don't know exactly when we're going to celebrate it. But yes, I can make a checklist like that

Andisheh: Can we sync our outlook calendar to the UNM event calendar?

Jon: No, unfortunately, it's a web based app. Think like a twitter feed. Rick's been trying to build a shared web-based calendar, but we're having log on issues when too many people use it.

Andisheh: While I'm here, can we have a faculty webpage?



Jon: Not my forte, I am not in charge of the website. I can tell you that we had a meeting another day, that we all know we need a new website. I have been pushing for when we redo the website, we strip it down and take out the extra things. Faculty shouldn't have to go through the website, we should have a back end thing. IMO, the website is for recruitment and marketing and public information. Website feels like a pot of gumbo; needs to be streamlined.

Andisheh: So are you saying that's had issues?

Jon: Our website alone has more pages than main campus's. You should be able to, but it needs to be streamlined a lot. You should be able to have a page but we need to standardize things. For example, only 30% of faculty have photographs

<Discussion about taking and standardizing photographs on the UNMV website>

Anicca: I've seen pros and cons of both campus taking photos and user-submitted.

But yes, we need faculty pages.

Jon: Our website has so much stuff on the backend that we don't utilize and I wish I could help with it and it should be completely revamped

Andisheh: Agreed that we should revamp. All of us need faculty webpages

Jon: I would mention it to Rick or MaryAnn. I'm on your side here, but it's outside of my domain

2:16 Care Reports

Laura: Beatriz is not here, but she wanted to remind people about the Care reports

Ana: Yep, remember them and do it

2:16 New Business / Announcements

Cheryl: Be Kind week is in February. On our website there is a Be Kind page. If someone does something nice even if it's just opening a door if you have papers, you can go on there and leave a little note. You can post notes there throughout the year

We could all use a little kindness once in a while

To get a kind note can be sweet



Haven't decided what we'll collect, since it's after the holidays. Last few years has been food banks, before that it's been stuffed animals for first responders to comfort kids. Food and equity is an issue in valencia county, if students aren't fed, they'll have a harder time concentrating

Steven: Save the Date. More info next week, but Wednesday Nov 1st, PASOS sponsoring dia de los muertos event with sugar skull painting, etc

Ana: Reading NM is scheduled for Nov 17th, two wonderful readers.

Jerry: Mol Day is on Monday in LRC 101 from 12-1:30. Demo that we're doing is coloring niobium with wire and 9 volt batteries

2:21 Meeting Adjourned