



Faculty Assembly Meeting Draft Minutes

Friday, February 9, 2024 (1:00 – 2:30 PM)

Zoom Meeting URL: <https://unm.zoom.us/j/93484950638> (Password: 161803)

Attendance:

Ian Burch	Tammi Duncan-Teller	Ariel Ramirez
Ana June	Jerry Godbout	Joseph Poole
Andy Taylor	Piotr Filipczak	Stephen Takach
Precious Andrew	Joshua Frank Cardenas	Susan Yasenka
Natalie Sheppard	Laura Musselwhite	Benjamin Flicker
Patricia Gillikin	Lizeth Bustillos	Karen Walter
Michael Gonzales	Jonathan Sims	Clifton Murray
Steven Romero	Anicca Cox	Elisa DiMenna
Sarah Heyward	John Bollweg	Sam Dosumu
Justin Bendell	Scott Kamen	
Cindi Goodman	Andisheh Dadashi	

1:02 Call to Order (1 minute)

Andy Taylor: Ana and I are double teaming this meeting, I'm handing the in person, Ana is handling online

1:02 Acceptance of Agenda (1 minute)

Jerry Godbout Motions, Cheryl Byran seconds

1:03 Approval of Minutes (1 minute)

Laura Musselwhite: One change asked to request. Alice Chenard would like people to know that a few people were using the printer in the adjunct offices. At least 1 person was using the printer



Cheryl: Some addendums; removal of a joke.

Ian Burch: I also forgot to put Stephen in the attendance last time

Justin Bendell: Motion to accept with the changes. Cheryl: Seconds

1:05 Chancellor's Report - Sam Dosumu (10 minutes)

Sam is absent, will revisit later

1:05 Dean of Instruction's Report - Laura Musselwhite (10 minutes)

Laura: Chancellors have reached out to provost's to see why it's taking so long to approve the branch workload document. This was Wednesday, waiting to hear Provost needs to approve policies before we can put it on the website

Still looking for volunteers for the Gala

Superbowl Sunday from 11-2

Chairs are working on scheduling for summer & Fall

Registration opens 1st week of April

Justin: Regarding the workload policy, is it possible for Faculty to get some eyes on that

Laura: It's old policy with numbers updated. Was going to wait to send it out until approved, but no reason I can't send it down earlier

No news from sam, we can loop back

1:08 Treasurer's Report - Andy Taylor (2 minutes)

Andy: \$600 FA fund, \$78 in snack fund

Cheryl: Will we use that \$ in March & April for food? We have the \$ for both

Ana June: Do we have to have a certain # of people to have food?

Cheryl: We just have to have 4 hours together, FAc + Lunch + FA gives us the 4 hours required. We have to have a record of it.



Laura: I don't think there's a minimum, no

Committee Accomplishments for AY 23-24 (3 minutes per committee)

1:10 Faculty Professional Development Committee

Andisheh Dadashi: The 2 other committees should talk first because I've got a bunch to say

1:10 Faculty Online Teaching & Review Committee

Cindi Goodman: I'm from that cmt, nothing to share yet

1:11 Curriculum Committee

Ian Burch: Last semester we pushed a lot of updates to math, and met earlier to decide which programs to do Program Reviews

Laura: You all voted to approve a combination of Curriculum & Assessment last term. If you're a gen-ed teacher, your chair has talked to you about submitting artifacts. Adds no work to the committee. Program assessment is where cmt sees more work in Fall semester. Combined committee will get reports, go through the rubric & give comments, then I take over and do a summary to submit to main campus.

1:13 FPDC & Professional Development Funds (10 minutes)

Andisheh: I hope you all had a chance to look over the proposal of the PD funds increase. Important for us to grow as teachers and educators without worrying about funding. We should not have to spend out of pocket money. We want to increase professional funds. The \$750 for full-time faculty was established almost 33 years ago. We've had an increase in overall budget, but it's not enough
Attending conferences costs now, and we don't want to have to choose local & online conferences instead of national ones because of costs.

Increase of whole budget from \$18k to 25k, total goes to \$1,250 for full time



We've had some left over, but it's first come-first serve which is unfair

We need this increase, it's about providing faculty the resources so we can be the best we can. We must use this PD fund to go to conferences, connect with people, market our campus. Put UNMV on the map.

Thank you for listening, and I'd like Dr Musselwhite to explain what happens with any leftover money

Ana: Chat has been asking about comparable campuses and Justin asked Gallup.

Gallup is "Up to \$2k"

Andisheh: Main campus has a complicated system. Their CS department has a "starter grant" while Gallup had grants that you could apply to and use every other year.

Justin: I literally just emailed Gallup's english dept chair. Full-time can receive \$2k each year, while part-time gets nothing. This seems to contradict what Andisheh said.

Andisheh: My info was about 6-7 years out of date, I wasn't sure what was going on now.

I'd like to confirm that Gallup does have an explicit \$2k per person, not a pool

Joshua: To throw it out there, if I wanted to go to the main conference of education, it would cost me \$2200 just to fly, hotel, and conference. No food

Andisheh: That's true. When I go to international conferences I spend \$3-4k. What I wrote as a proposal, the \$1,250, was a number we could get right now. Start here, every year we review and increase it based on inflation or other info.

Andy: While we're on the topic, based on the meeting with Sam & Laura yesterday, they're both completely in support of increasing the total pot and reevaluating based on demand the need to increase the pot

Laura: And increasing the per person amts. If for example we raise both and it spurs lots of people to go for the money, if it's not enough we can add the rotation system akin to Gallup where half the faculty goes on year then half the next year. Bottom line, we're in support of this proposal

Andy: We're in support of rolling over unused funds

Laura: Rick's been trying to find a way, I'll let you know if he finds anything

Cheryl: Adjuncts on a yearly contract are also considered full time for this



Andy: 39 total people have access to this

Laura: This is the first year we've had term teachers, so it's new to everyone

Andisheh: My data from the last 3 years showed 3 adjuncts requested money, while an average of 20 FT out of 35 receive funding

Ana: We're at 15 minutes on this item

1:28 Faculty Senate Representative Committee Report (5 minutes)

& UNM-LA Situation (5 minutes)

Justin: We had a 6 minute faculty senate meeting a couple weeks ago. Chris Elder wasn't there due to a family emergency. So we didn't really do anything

Following week was the BCCC, where we discuss branch campus issues. Focused on Los Alamos predicament. Wave of change and improvements with the union at Gallup and Valencia. None of this is happening at Los Alamos, so we've been focusing our issue on there.

<Moved UNM-LA situation point to here>

BCCC met with the Los Alamos chancellor yesterday morning. We brought our concerns to him and made it clear we were pushing this issue until changes are made. We want letters of solidarity from each faculty assembly at campuses. I am offering to write this letter, saying we stand in support for LA to have a 4/4 equitable workload. Gallup's president did that last year for us. I'd like to have a vote on this or take any questions.

Scott Kamen: I have a question. Via this letter or through a different forum, could we take up the issue of their faculty assembly being dissolved?

Justin: That's precisely the question I had for John Burke. Because this is in reaction to our resolution last year, we wanted to target the 4/4 first, but the other stuff is forthcoming. For those that don't know, their problems are:

1. Nowhere near 4/4 workload, it was simply rejected



2. Revised constitution stipulates that all adjuncts are non-voting faculty assembly members. Their faculty is 85% part timers. They've effectively gutted their faculty assembly, and the people who can vote are easily targeted

Cheryl: With dissolving the faculty assembly and not having voting members, does that affect their handbook? If so, does it just revert Los Alamos to main campus rules under the Faculty Senate?

Justin: I don't know, I'll write it down

John: Justin, you mentioned a constitution that explicitly says adjuncts are non-voting. Who updates and controls that document?

Justin: I suspect based on our conversations that the constitution was not written by a faculty body, but in a top-down fashion by admin

John: So their internal procedures are also part of the problem

Justin: Is anybody opposed to us as a collective body writing a simple statement?

Andy: Let's bring this to a vote. All in favor?

VOTE RESULTS

28 YEA 0 NAY 0 ABS

Vote passes

1:37 Meeting Organization & Practices (15 minutes)

Andy: Organization practices of this meeting in particular

Ian: I cannot transcribe both in-person and chat conversations. I propose when online chats lead to questions or relevant comments, such as the Gallup situation earlier, someone summarize when it's finished

Cheryl: I'd motion to move faculty assembly in Fall to 3rd Wednesday in person, 12-130

Andy: WFC classes don't work with that

Jerry: Lab blocks also interfere with that



Justin: If our faculty president can't do the Wednesday meeting appropriately, then I think that just negates Wednesday

Cheryl: Is it the day or the time? Do we need to move it to 3pm? Previous to covid, chairs scheduled so no one had classes during a specific time so people could attend. Do we want to have that again so everyone has a slot?

Jerry: Isn't that what we just did?

Cheryl: It isn't accommodating and 11:30 to 1 wouldn't work either

Jerry: But there was a directive to not schedule classes Wednesday at 12, which should take care of 95% of issues

Laura: if you can finish at 1:25, everything would be fine

Cheryl: 3rd Wednesday of the month, make sure we finish in 1:15

Andy: Let's vote on 2nd Friday at 1-230 vs 3rd Wednesday 12-115. Simple majority vote, whichever wins we use.

VOTE TO MOVE TO WEDNESDAY

AYE 19 NAY 2 ABSTENTION 3

Fall FA moved

Andy: Next Academic year we will meet 3rd Wednesdays of the month from 12:00-1:15 PM. Any concerns, questions?

Justin: I wanted to ask you all because of the complications of last meeting if it would be good to come up with a best practices for hybrid meetings cheat sheet to develop and entrench into our behavior patterns so the democratic process between F2F and online folks is smooth. Is anyone willing to join a task force for that?

Ana: I'd be interested in that

John: There's equity issues for that as well that I'm trying to follow up

Ian: I'm interested as well

Steven: I'm interested

Cheryl: That's sort of under the purview of FEC



Andy: Maybe a joint task force?

Justin: I came up with a name though: FA HYBRID MEETING COMMUNICATION EFFICIENCY AND DEMOCRATIZATION TASKFORCE (FAHMCEAD TASKFORCE)

John: It's a name to go with. Maybe the FEC could delegate Justin to form that committee, since everyone could benefit from this

Cheryl: It does go back to faculty though

Justin: I just want to do this for FA now though, I don't want to have to go through the chancellor and make this a big thing. Just keep it for FA, if it works maybe expand it

John: I'll work with you, and if it's successful I can take it wide

Handbook Updates on Curriculum & Assessment (3 minutes)

Michael: Last time we met we voted to approve the combination of curriculum & assessment. We voted and approved, now we're just voting to update the verbage in the handbook

Andy: Let's put it to a vote

APPROVE THE CHANGES

AYE 24 NAY 0 ABS 0

Changes approved

Elect Faculty Senators (5 minutes)

Andy: We need to conduct this election. Any nominations?

Cheryl: We have 2 positions, is that correct?

[Justin & Barbara are both on their 2nd term]

Cheryl: This is something that's really good for newer faculty to be a part of so you can see how we relate to campus. It's 8 meetings per year on main campus. Justin, are they virtual or in person

Justin: Mostly virtual, 1 in person per semester. I am willing to continue



Cheryl: Good for tenure-track & lecturers to have that for promotion. Good to be involved in, not that much work

Scott: Justin said he was willing to continue, so I nominate Justin.

Jerry seconds

Justin: I would love to have a junior faculty member join us so I can show you the ropes

Andisheh: I would be willing to do that, but I would need training for that

Steven: I'm also willing to nominate myself, but I'll hold off if you want it Andisheh

Justin: It's Tuesdays 3-5 once a month, BCCC meets the Tuesday after

Cheryl: We can nominate both, or even more and then do a vote

Sarah: I nominate Andisheh and Steven

Ariel Seconds

<VOTE POSTPONED TO END OF MEETING FOR TECHNICAL REASONS>

New Business / Announcements

1:59 Pi Day (2 min)

Precious: I'm setting it up with other math people. Tuesday March 5th, 11:30 - 1:00, Activities, pies, etc. Some of us are giving bonus points for the activities if you want to encourage those

EIRG (3 min)

Steven: In the fall we realized there was a lot of overlap between events, so as long as I'm chair I request that if you want to do any initiatives, events, or similar, please forward it to me as well. Planning an event is really difficult, so even though the dia de las muertos event was very successful, it took months of planning. I've created standing invites to the EIRG meetings if you want to attend if you have concerns or want to do event planning

Student Nurses Assn



Joseph: Student Nurses Association are doing blood pressure tests during Wellness Day. Open house in April to show off our new equipment

2:03 Be Kind Events (2 min)

CB Be kind is next week, but PASOS's grant for food bank did not get renewed. They are in desperate need of food, they've asked for 5-6 items they really need

Also collecting stuffed animals for the county and first responders for kids in crisis situations. Boxes around campus, even if it's full just put them next to it

Tuesday is the faculty day, doing rock painting 1130-1

Monday is student gov day, doing a treasure hunt with scholarships

Thursday is carnival, all events 1130-1

Also, Be Kind notes are year round, not just the week! You can at any time go to the website and write a note for someone

2:06 Faculty Calendar (3 minutes)

Cheryl: I ran across an issue the last couple weeks. Regular calendar that JL tracks is a full-campus calendar - things everyone is invited to. There are some just-faculty items that come up. Because of this we've stopped tracking a faculty specific calendar

Laura: Now we have a campus-wide calendar that we're trying to put things in. If we all used that, would we need a faculty specific calendar

Cheryl: No, we just have to know who to contact to add items for that

Laura: It's just an outlook calendar. I can send out a bunch of info on how to use & access that

Cheryl: Can faculty add items to that?

Laura: No, right now myself, Rick, Paulette, Kristy, and FA President can post. If Ana or Andy wanted I can request that for them



2:10 Chancellor's Report

Sam Dosumu: We have a grant to get rural students into school and add wraparound services - success teaming, career advising, and similar to help students pass through and complete. Four year grant, we're recruiting a project director for

First few months are always confusing, but it should help a lot. The grant is seed money, it'll help us grow these

We also received money from legislature and our representatives. GRO New Mexico. Akin to the usual bill, 160k for CTE tech that has to be at the WFTC because the representative has it in his territory. Want to get high school students in so they can get industry certificates. For example, electricians get an industry certification, not just a UNM certificate.

Marketing & Promotion needs a lot. This area knows us, but there's a lot of things we're doing internally that I don't think they know of. For example, Sarah pushes the art show, but we can then lead into discussing the programs behind it. Very few things in the newspaper about us. We should be there once a month, for good reasons

Market research, who is our market? High schoolers always, there are 4,000 high schoolers we service, but what about adult learners who have a few classes but want a credential? Want to get more local students, as well as Albuquerque campus students who are doing online work as main campus will only grow. Any ideas you all have, please bring it to us.

We want to make changes if people think they'll help. The lunch hour's been successful, thank you all for adding that. We could consider adding things Friday, and we now have a student govt representative

Karen: What kind of students are we servicing from Albuquerque? Are they focused or do they have a variety of classes?

Laura: Variety, for two reasons. Our tuition is lower, and Albuquerque was not running enough sections of basic courses for incoming freshmen. Both John and I did a study of what are the courses with the highest percentage of students. It's art, psych, math, english, all sorts of things



Sam: What's also helping that grow is if a student needs 1 or 2 classes to fill up their schedule, they take it with us. And if they take 1, they take several. We like them, but also need to make sure to pay attention to local students. We're the gateway to Albuquerque.

Laura: One strategy we're doing for the fall, maybe summer, is what we call "saving seats" for our native students. Some classes are all Albuquerque students, setting a few spots aside for locals.

Sam: Encourage students to sign up before they leave for the summer. We can always do adjustments in fall. Give Los Lunas students priority. If we get 60-80% of students registered before summer, we can control sections much better.

2:26 Annica: Update on Program Development. We did a survey, and are piloting 3 events per semester; one per month. Speaker on 21st, cosponsored by EIRG and PASOS, talking about equity and antiracist issues. Next year, doing more full-day events

2:28 Senate Vote, Revisited

Precious: Can Justin or Barbara give us a better idea what to expect? Are we just taking meeting notes or actually participating?

Barbara: The meetings are very main campus centric. We don't have much opportunity to participate directly, but we do a lot in the BCCC. It's interesting to see & hear what is going on and see the new programs, learn what might affect us down here, and we vote. They're well-run meetings, but pretty long. I'd encourage anyone to become a senator. It's a big time commitment, but well worth it.

Justin: Yes, and I will add that I went in as a self-proclaimed activist senator with an axe to grind. I grinded that axe and results came from that. There's a lot of dragging, listening, and feeling disconnected, but the BCCC has put us on the map as branch campus senators. It could have been useless, but we're not taking it that way. This year we're fighting for Los Alamos. When our words get translated to faculty senate and passed, that's a sign we're being taken seriously.



VOTE

Votes were done anonymously, tallied by Ian & Andy

Justin & Steven won the vote, they are the new Faculty Senators

2:36 Adjournment