Grading Procedures

The grades awarded in UNM-Valencia courses measure the quality of work achieved in each course. The meaning as well as the fractionated grade points per credit hour, are as follows:

Letter GradeInterpretationGrade Point
D+Barely Passed1.33
DBarely Passed1.00
D-Barely Passed0.67
FFailed 0.00

Note: Only a grade of “C” or better is accepted toward fulfillment of all program requirements for graduation.

Grading Options and Descriptions

Credit (CR): Gives the student credit for the course but is not computed in the student’s grade point average. A grade of CR is roughly equivalent to at least a grade of “C” (see section on CR/NC above).

No Credit (NC): Does not give the student credit for the course and is not computed in the student’s grade point average. A grade of NC is roughly equivalent to a grade “C-” or less. (see section on CR/NC above). Note: although NC is not computed into the student grade point average, it is considered a failing grade.

Incomplete (I): The grade of “I” is given only when circumstances beyond the student’s control have prevented completion of a course within the official dates of a session or semester.

Audit (Audit): Recorded for completion of enrollment in an audited course. No credit is earned for an Audit grade option.

Withdrawal (W): A “W” grade is used for approved administrative withdrawals.

Grade Point Average

A student’s academic standing is measured in terms of a Grade Point Average (GPA). The GPA is calculated by dividing the total number of grade points earned at The University of New Mexico by the total number of hours attempted at UNM. Grades of “W”, “CR”, or “I” are not included in this computation. GPA is calculated for each semester and for all semesters completed. The latter is known as the student’s cumulative or overall GPA.

Change of Grade

Any change of grade (except for the removal of an Incomplete) after the grade is on record in the Registrar’s Office can be made only after the reasons for such a change have been submitted in writing by the instructor concerned and is approved by the UNM-Main Campus Admissions and Registration Committee. Such a change in grade must be requested within 12 months after the end of the grading period. No grade (except an Incomplete) can be raised by completion of extra work or by special examination.

Removal of Incomplete (“I”) Grade

The grade of “I” is given only when circumstances beyond the student’s control have prevented completion of the coursework within the official dates of a session. Students should not reenroll or reregister (for credit) in a course for which an Incomplete has been received in order to remove the Incomplete.

Incomplete grades must be resolved no later than one year (12 months) from the published end day of the semester in which the grade was assigned. An Incomplete may be removed even though a student is not enrolled in residence. Students are responsible for making arrangements with the instructor for removal of an Incomplete. An Incomplete is changed to a grade by completing the work prescribed by the instructor. Incomplete grades not removed in accordance with these policies are automatically converted to “F” (failure). In order to be eligible for graduation, an incomplete grade must be removed. A student and their instructor should fill out an Incomplete form (available in the Academic Affairs Office) to be kept on file in the Academic Affairs Office.

Follow these steps to remove an Incomplete:

  1. The instructor submits the completed grade electronically.
  2. The grade automatically updates the student’s record.

Grade Replacement Policy

A student may repeat any course, but receives credit only once. (This does not apply to courses noted “may be repeated more than once.”)

Any course acceptable toward an undergraduate degree can be repeated one time for improvement of a grade. Attempted courses remain on the student record; however, the lower grade is removed from the calculation of the GPA and the new grade is included. The student receives credit only once. Only 12 hours of course work may be repeated for grade improvement. This process is not automatic. A student must contact the Registrar’s Office regarding the correct procedure.

No repeated course is allowed for grade improvement after a degree has been awarded.  A student who fails a course at UNM and repeats the same course with a grade of “C” or better at another college or university may have the credit accepted for transfer, but the “F” earned at UNM continues to be computed in the grade point average.


Examinations, other than final examinations, may be given during each course at the discretion of the instructor. A final examination for each course is administered during the last week of the semester. Final examination schedules are available from the Dean of Instruction’s office and in the current schedule of classes. They also are posted on campus several weeks prior to the final examination period. Only under exceptional circumstances may a student take the final examination at a time other than the officially scheduled time.

Probation and Suspension

Probationary status serves as a warning to students that they are no longer in good academic standing and that they may soon become eligible for suspension. Students are placed on academic probation when their cumulative grade point average falls below the minimum requirements established in the UNM-Main catalog. In the case of Certificate and Associate degree students at UNM-Valencia, a 2.0 GPA is required to remain in good academic standing. Students are subject to suspension at the end of any semester or session unless they have succeeded in removing themselves from probation or have shown adequate improvement from semester to semester.

At registration time, the Director of Student Affairs may limit a student on probation to enroll for a minimum number of hours and may at any time require a student on probation to drop hours that seem beyond his or her ability. In addition, students on academic probation are required to meet with an academic advisor a minimum of three times during the probation period. Students suspended for the first time are not eligible to reenter the university for a period of one semester from the date of suspension. Students under a repeated suspension are not eligible to reenter the university for a period of one academic year from the date of the suspension. Students suspended for the third time may not enroll for classes for a period of five academic years from the date of the suspension. Readmission at the end of the suspension period requires the approval of the UNM-Valencia Director of Student Affairs.

Students suspended for poor scholarship in the past are considered on probation when they return to the University, as are students who withdrew from the University while on probation, unless their withdrawal makes them subject to suspension.

Credits earned at other institutions while on suspension are not accepted at UNM-Valencia as transfer credit.

Grade Petition Procedure

Article 8 of the University of New Mexico Student Grievance Procedure sets forth the procedures which should be followed by a student seeking retroactive withdrawal, enrollment or disenrollment, or for other academic record changes involving exceptions to the rules governing registration and academic records which are set forth in the University Catalog.

1.  A student seeking retroactive withdrawal, enrollment, grade option change; or further academic record changes involving exceptions to the rules governing registration and academic records, may submit petitions to the Records and Registration Office. This petition process does not cover disputes involving academic judgement (refer to the UNM Pathfinder, “Student Grievance Procedure,” Article 2, Academic Disputes).

2.  The petition must state the nature of the request (specific expected results), specify the semester involved, the course and section number, the student’s name, identification number, mailing address and telephone number. It must include documentation of extenuating circumstances, such as medical, family or employment needs. The petition must be typed and signed.

3.  A student may only petition grades up to one year after an instructor and dean grade change form can be utilized to change a grade (effective as of April 2005 as approved by Faculty Senate Operations Committee). This means no grade change can be petitioned after two years in which the course(s) was/were taken.

4.  Upon receipt of student’s petition, the instructor(s) involved is contacted for a statement concerning the request.

5.  The petition (along with instructor comments) is forwarded to the Grade Petition Subcommittee of the Faculty Senate Admission and Records Committee for review and decision. If the petition is approved, appropriate modifications are made to the student record.

6.  The student is notified in writing of the outcome of the petition. The decision of the subcommittee is final.

7.  The student is responsible for tuition and fees incurred.

Academic Renewal Policy

Academic Renewal applies to undergraduate degree-seeking students who have been readmitted to UNM or UNM-Valencia after an absence of five years. The procedure allows a currently enrolled student to request his/her academic record be reviewed for the purpose of evaluating previously earned credits and recalculation of the student’s grade point average from the point of readmission.

Students may obtain petition forms and details from the UNM-Valencia Registrar’s Office.

Academic Rights and Responsibilities of Students

UNM has established policies regarding students’ educational records, academic integrity, grievances, classroom conduct, and identification. Complete texts of these policies may be found in the UNM-Valencia catalog and on the campus website. These policies are in keeping with the Family Education Rights & Privacy Act regarding confidentially of records. The Student Grievance policy and Student Disciplinary procedures are included in the Appendices of this catalog.

Catalog Requirements

Students may graduate under the catalog requirements for the year in which they were enrolled for the first time in the academic or career/technical program in which they are seeking a degree, provided they complete the graduation requirements within a continuous six-year period. If students interrupt attendance or transfer from one academic or career/technical program to another within the university, they must graduate under the degree requirements of the catalog in effect at the time of their readmission or transfer. Students who do not register for one or more semesters are covered by the catalog in effect at the time of re-enrollment.

Students are responsible for knowing the rules and regulations concerning graduation requirements and for registering in the courses necessary to meet them.

Dean’s List

To qualify, a student must have completed a minimum of 6 credit hours at UNM-Valencia. In addition:

  1. Students must complete at least six (6) credit hours with regular grading option in a given semester at the UNM-Valencia;
  2. A semester Grade Point Average (GPA) of 3.5 is required; and
  3. No grade lower than a “C” (not “C-”) is acceptable.
  4. Students with a grade of ‘NC’ and/or ‘I’ will not be eligible for the Dean’s List.