



## Faculty Assembly Minutes

Friday, November 10, 2023 (1:00 – 2:30 PM)

Zoom Meeting URL: <https://unm.zoom.us/j/96064953403> pw: 123457

### Attendance:

Ian Burch	Ariel Ramirez	Anicca Cox
Ana June	Pyotr Fil	Michael Gonzales
Justin Bendell	Joshua Frank Cardenas	Kat Gullahorn
Patrica Gillikin	Steven Romero	Jerry Godbout
Cheryl Bryan	John Bollweg	Ben Flicker
Andy Taylor	Tammi Duncan	Stephen Takach
Natalie Sheppard	Precious Andrew	

### 1:02 Call to Order

### 1:02 Acceptance of Agenda

Justin Bendell motions, Ariel Ramierz and Precious Andrew second. Accepted

### 1:03 Approval of Minutes

Cheryl Bryan motions, Justin seconds. Minutes approved

### 1:04 Chancellor's Report (10 minutes)

Ana June: Sam is out of town so were not doing Chancellor's report

The election returned great results, we got the bond. I think 15 million

Justin: Over several years, not all at once

Cheryl: Isn't it for a health science building?



John Bollweg: Yes, we got approval for 1 mil on the first phase. They want us to remodel rather than do a new building

Cheryl: Aren't we in the health sciences building right now?

John: Yes. It'll be a new, or newer, building

Ariel: As long as they keep this room

John: Yes, this building isn't going away. This building isn't big enough for what we want.

Laura knows most of these details. We've been approved to rehab a building

Correct me if I'm wrong Laura, they've approved remodeling or a new building or community clinic

Laura: It hasn't been said it's just for that, but they only gave us 1 mil. So its expected that it;ll be architectural

Ariel: What's the goal here, what purpose does it serve

Laura: It'll serve a couple purposes. Our nursing rooms are designed for 16 person cohort but we're moving up to 23, which does not fit. Sam also wants to colocate all health programs. So phlebotomy, ems, care attendant, all in the same space.

Lastly, Sam really wants a primary level care clinic for the community. Just basic services, that also serves as a clinical site for students

Ana: This came about because of the bond, which was passed

Laura: Yes

Ana: Is this intended for that?

Laura: Sort of. We'll get it in 3 chunks, 5 then 5 then 5. However, that's the last bond money we'll see until 2037.



Ana: Wow, so what will it go for?

John: Makes planning for the next 10 years much more important

Laura: It is essentially 1 time money - it's a lot of money but still one time. More for facilities, upkeep, construction. Lot of maintenance that we need to do.

Ana: And that leads into your [LM] report

### **1:08 Dean of Instruction's Report**

Laura: I don't have any large scale updates, but some part time faculty have some questions and maybe a little anxiety about changes of printers and phone system

You can let your folks know that in adjunct space we took the printer out

Part of an entire campus analysis of use of printers. No one was using that one

Another printer right in main office, plus the big one across the hall

"You guys don't like the adjunct faculty, you took our printer!"

Nothing to do with that, just didn't use printer

Exacerbating analysis of phones. Most people don't want phones any more.

Adjunct area has 25 pens, each with a phone line, which costs a lot of money. Only 1 person requested to keep their phone.

John: When you're planning where phones go, one should be in a closable room

Cheryl: There is a conference room though

John: That should do it

Piotr: IT called to check if phone line was in use



Laura: yes, that's part of that. Rick has a running list of people who want / dont want phones, let people know

<Adjusting zoom for reading comments>

**1:12** Natalie Sheppard: Concern is this is only affecting adjuncts

Laura: No, this is across entire campus. Rooms with unused printers lost printers, and everyone across campus got asked if they want their phones

Cheryl: My phone didn't work, but I think it's because I changed my password

Laura: Thank for you giving me some time to clarify that so no one felt adversely targeted

Natalie: Thanks for clarifying, I also fielded some of those complaints so wanted to make sure

Piotr: One more question about the health sciences building. Most training for HS students happens in the non HS building, so we'll probably expand other buildings. Are we moving the few rooms from this building to the expanded building, and then can we use some spaces here for research labs here?

Laura: I see the opportunity for one particular space, 115. I have made the argument that this building, HS, is not an appropriate space for expansion. Moving labs is a terrible choice

Piotr: And they're better established in other building than this

Laura: Yes, so the allied health classroom would move



Piotr: And next door we have rooms for in vitro culturing. Very important part of research methodology.

Laura: Agreed, and 115 is a very large space

John: Undergraduate research is a flagship program, we should have a good space for it

### **1:17 Treasurer's Report (3 minutes)**

Andy Taylor: We still have 600 in budget, 78 in slushie fund

### **1:17 Committee Plans (2 minutes each)**

Faculty Program Development Committee

Anicca Cox: Did you want to see survey results?

<resounding yesses>

Good distribution of adjunct/lec/tenure track and new/old faculty

60% have done 1 event, ~25 have done 0

Biggest piece, 48%, people want more opportunities

Few people said the opportunities were adequate, some said they're not of interest

More even distribution of pedagogical focus, red social, research, funding

Sense is we want regular Program Development offerings with a strong variety

Our proposal is we move to regular one per month in wednesday open time

Share your research, share your teaching work, crowdsource PD activities

Pilot it in the spring



Space for everyone to come together without making a full retreat; make it regular practice. Hope that sounds good, we would be

Steven Romero: Would love to collaborate in that!

Anicca Cox: Was hoping people would say that, and this is what our data helps us think about

John: My last institution used to do brown bag lunch days like this, where people would report on research. IIRC open hour is about lunch time, so doing it this way could limit organizational burden

Natalie: oooh, WIP Wednesdays

<everyone liked that>

Anicca: People wanted scholarly stuff, so that would be great. Fear is we lack attendance, but i think we can make it great

John: If you build out the schedule for spring, get a few people early in the semester, that should give you some momentum

Cheryl: We were talking about this and worried that faculty wont support all this. This morning's workshop had 7 people, only 2 FT faculty. Wanted to find a way for people to be more involved. If these don't get attendance, do like FOTRC and make a F2F conference in the fall. Would be really nice if people actually partake

Anicca: Yes, encourage participation. I think with a plan ahead of time it'll help

**1:26** Faculty Handbook Committee



Michael Gonzales: We were finally able to meet, I will be chair. Myself, Meghan Perry, and Ana are on committee, send us any changes

Did have one from Laura, the combination of curriculum and assessment committees. Since we already voted, these changes are really only to update the verbiage in the handbook. Ana sent that out earlier this week

Ana: Yes, apparently we have to vote on putting it in the handbook. 2 step process

Laura: Even though it's just a change of language, this group needs to vote on it to approve the language

Ana: We'll approve the language changes in February

Michael: Document that got sent out has current verbiage to compare

Laura: Will affect committee charge and the list of committees

### **1:28** Faculty Communication Committee

Ian Burch: I'm chair, everything is going good. Contact me for listserv, Michael for newsletter, and Alexa for the website

### **1:30** Faculty Senate Report (5 minutes)

Justin: Meeting was on halloween, we dressed up and ate snacks

Provost said they're studying compensation compared to similar schools.

Making a transparent, seemingly concerted effort to be up front

Regents concerned about architecture, that UNM is losing sense of identify

"Santa Feification" to make sure buildings don't lose pueblo inspired look



Pamela spoke about a lot of things, don't have anything to say there

Chris said we need to vote on sabbatical policy. Come and gone, hope you voted for it

We were then 45 minutes over, had to fast-track rest of meeting

Mostly eating snacks.

**1:32** The BCCC later spoke about workload. Los Alamos is in a bit of trouble

We're concerned about LA being democratic

The dean rewrote the constitution and killed their faculty assembly

Adjuncts lost the right to vote. This isn't ideological, it's blatantly happening now

How to move forward to fight with them and protect them

People are afraid to voice dissent and be targeted. Make sure this is widely broadcast

so everyone knows it and its not a niche issue

No updates from last time, I'll let you know after BCCC meets in December

Cheryl: Do they have a new dean there?

Laura: No, he's been there 2-3 years

John: Is this an ongoing issue there?

Justin: I have some ideas, but don't want to broadcast them. I would speculate that this might be a reaction to democratic pushes on other campuses. LA lives in a different reality; very adjunct forward, not much tenure track, think of themselves exceptional in some ways. Our line in BCCC is that you can't just decide you're a different type of institution





Laura: This is no great secret to say, but LA is the one that most pushed back against 4/4. Rest of us said we'll scrape up \$, its right thing to do, they said there was nothing.

Both dean and chancellor

Justin: I feel they made a critical error by going after faculty rights

John: Are they at 4/4?

Justin: No. Every other branch did, they did not and are alone now. We need to step in

John: They also have more programs that tie with main campus because of their association with the lab.

Justin: Any questions? They did incorporate some of our ideas from the last meeting - some stuff that you said is happening but not sure on the timelines.

Piotr: Like the medical & annual leave?

Justin: Yes, they're on the list. Not sure how much traction they'll get

### **1:38 Meeting Format Discussion & Vote (20 minutes)**

Ana: We have a pretty clear best idea: F2F with food at the start of semester, hybrid for the rest. Lot of moving parts here, not going to please everyone, but that's a pretty clear higher number.

Laura: It says there is no hybrid for that first meeting

Ana: Yes, we'll have to talk about that

Cheryl: How does the day affect this? Wednesday v Friday?

Ana: I propose we vote on this.



John: Note that F2F then Hybrid overlaps with F2F then virtual, which is basically  $\frac{2}{3}$  of the option.

<Scrolls through other data points>

Full F2F is 40% loathed, Virtual only is 29% loathed

Cheryl: These were sent out before the Friday/Wed discussion though

Justin: If Friday, these values apply. If Wednesday, we need to redo them

Ariel: Yes and no. There's always issues of online and F2F classes

Precious: If we do Wednesdays I don't think we can do food because there's no FA

John: Did you all send out a W/F question?

Ana: No, I followed up after Cheryl prompted me. For now, let's collate what we got and then send that out. I'm leaning towards hybrid + F2F

John: Another meeting related assembly question. Why does FA not meet with convocation each semester? Good time for one and only F2F meeting

Cheryl: We have the chair meeting during that week. Way handbook reads is "3x a semester fall and spring". Doesn't mean it has to stay that way, but we've always been

S/O/N F/M/A. I like the separateness of convocation. Convocation can be full

Jerry Godbout: That week is really meeting dense

Justin: We haven't established committees, just thinking about classes

Anicca: Would like to be in person on Wednesdays, but will keep doing online on Fridays

Ana: What about the FA issue?

Cheryl: Could we get around the food thing?



Laura: We might have to do potluck, because of the 4 hr rule

**1:48** Ariel: I prefer wednesday, but i wish i knew this in advance so i wouldn't have assigned people to the workforce training center off campus

Ana: We don't have to do this under my tenure by the way. We can let Andy handle this. Lots of experimenting with rooms, and I think we found the room

Cheryl: Can I make a proposal? Continue with Friday Hybrd w food for this academic year, then next year move to W 12-115

Justin: Big proposal, are we going to go for it?

<lots of little discussions>

Ana: We have a quorum here? Did we have a motion to vote?

Cheryl: I proposed, so some else makes a motion

Justin: I'll make motion to vote on this elaborate plan

Ariel: I'll second the elaborate proposal

John: Before we vote, we're losing some of the momentum around WIP Wednesdays by waiting to move this.

Cheryl: To reiterate. Faculty assembly are still Hybrid with food until money runs out, on Friday. Then starting September, 3rd Wednesday 12-115, continuing through the end of the year. No food unless we potluck

Patricia Gillikin: Is this room available Wednesdays?

Ariel: It should be from 12 to 115. Nothing should be scheduled

John: Dont most FA meetings run long? You may have to run multiple?



Ian: Most are 1-115, only 1 or 2 run long each year.

**1:54** John: We could move for acceptance of Cheryl's proposal as is - or to start in Spring

Justin: I think it's a bold vote today

Stephen Takach: I've been typing in chat - i think there's enough impetus to have it start in Spring. Seems like temperature in the room was for the Wednesdays at 12 in spring  
<There was a concurrent discussion in chat that is not fully reflected in these minutes>

Steven Romero: Can i throw a wrench into this discussion? First meeting is Fridays with food, then other meetings are hybrid on Wednesday

Cheryl: Initial Proposal : Spring, hybrid, F, with food.

Fall, hybrid 3rd W, no food

Ana: We already mentioned on the proposal

<clarifying questions>

Kat Gullahorn: Can we vote this for two separate semesters? They're two different semesters, each with different details

John: I move to split this into 2 proposals.

Justin: We don't need 2 proposals since Spring is what we're already doing. This is voting to push the change until Fall

Piotr: This is relevant and I want to make sure it was discussed. What will happen to Faculty Academy?



Laura: Still fridays, same anemic attendance

Piotr: That's my worry, moving faculty assembly will kill faculty academy attendance

Cheryl: We moved it to Friday initially to try to help. It didn't help

<lots of chaotic discussion>

Laura: The idea of delaying format changes to Fall is that we don't want to switch things mid-academic year

Natalie: Zoom overwhelmingly wants to start in Spring on Wednesday

Cheryl: This semester we have some classes and people who can't make the Wednesday at 12 time

Justin: We were asked to keep that slot empty though

Ariel: It's not time, its distance. I have 2 people at the workforce training center

Cheryl: Everyone should have the option to make it, not everyone can this semester, but we can fix that come fall semester. Right now, not everyone can attend

Ana: Miscommunications aside, this came up because we had so many difficulties with tech. We have solved the main problem [with this room]

Laura: We've also discussed that hybrid communication is clunky - even with tech it's confusing as we saw today

John: There are probably things we can do to fix hybrid issues. Such as zoom people raising hands or big gestures. I'll dig into protocols like that

Cheryl: If we move to F2F on Wednesday next year, we keep the hybrid option to make sure adjuncts who teach elsewhere or aren't on campus Wednesdays to attend.

Ana: Main thing we're talking about now is the day.



Cheryl: I motion to vote on this

Justin: I motion to table. This is too contentious

John: Do we want more time or decide today?

Jerry seconds Justin's motion. Ariel thirds

VOTE FOR TABLING:

13 Yea 3 Nay 0 Abs

Discussion tabled

## **2:19** New Business / Announcements

John: Adjunct committee met, elected co-chairs Natalie Sheppard and Lizbeth Axelrod.

Also agreed to serve as rep to FEC. Natalie main rep, with Lizbeth as backup. Solved my issue of me not being an appropriate rep

Natalie: Yes, Liz is my co-chair. Still making decisions on what exactly the adjunct committee can do. Monetary issues are by the union. We're trying to make a database for adjuncts to look at knowledge all buried in other places. Asking full-timers to add to the database so we dont ask adjuncts for more unpaid labor

**2:21** Cheryl: Be Kind Notes. People thought they could only submit those during the official Be Kind week in Feb. You can send these notes any day of the year. Doesn't matter if it's february, june, any day. Go to faculty website, then the be kind website, and you can send that note any day of the year



Ana: Anything else? If not, motion to adjourn?

Cheryl motions, Justin seconds.

**2:22** Adjourned